Hieber Model Lute
The Hieber model lute has been revived in the workshop after being discontinued for many years. This lute model is the basic full, round lute form that is characteristic of the early instruments from Venice. The original instrument is set up with seven courses, but this model is available from the Larson workshop as in six, seven, and eight courses.
- 59cm string length
- Overall length - 28"
- Front length - 17 1/4"
- Body width - 12"
- Body depth - 6"
- String spacing between courses at bridge, (8 course), 10.1mm
- Spacing between strings in course at bridge, (8 course), 4.9mm
- String spacing between courses at nut, (8 course), 5.7mm
- Spacing between strings in course at nut, (8 course), 3.1
Basic Lute Features:
- Cherry back
- Cherry neck and head
- Choice of pegs
- Cherry fingerboard
- Rosewood fingerboard binding, with points
- Rosewood end button
- Rosewood cap on cherry bridge
- Bone nut
- Nylon and carbon strings with wound basses
- "A" quality Engelmann spruce front
- "A" pattern rose
- Nylon and fluorocarbon strings with wound basses
This lute model is available as:
- Six course lute
- Seven course lute, (as the original)
- Eight course lute
In addition to the instrument described above and pictured, enhancement features can be added to the instrument.
The basic model instrument comes with a good quality engelmann spruce front. Other qualities of front wood are available as an optional feature. Please click on this link to go to the page that explains all of the front woods available.
- Engelmann "AA" quality
- Engelmann "AAA" quality
- Western Red Cedar
- Sitka Spruce
- Figured Sitka Spruce
- Italian Alpine Spruce
- Oriental Spruce
Other Back woods:
- Cherry with ebony spacers
- Figured maple
- Figured maple with ebony spacers
- Yew with ebony spacers
- Pear with ebony spacers
- Bird's eye maple
- Bird's eye maple with ebony spacers
- Rosewood with boxwood spacers
- Mahogany with ebony spacers
Other optional features:
- Optional "B" pattern rose
- Optional "C" pattern Venere Rose
- Optional "D" pattern rose
- Ebony veneered neck
- Stripes in neck and back of head
- Ebony fingerboard
- Boxwoodfront binding, with heart
- Ebony front binding with heart