The 59 cm Venere Model Lute
This instrument is modeled on an instrument made by Venere in 1596 in Bolonga, Italy now in the Vienia museum, number C64. The original instrument has a string length of 64cm. I have scaled the design down to 59cm for this reconstruction to make it more adaptable to modern playing techniques and pitch.
The adjusted body outline has been compared to another Venere lute in the Bolonga collection that has a string length of 58cm to insure a consistent instrument style.
The bowl is made up of thirteen ribs and has a flattened profile. That is, it is wider than it is deep. This shallow profile brings the plane of the strings closer to the body, making the instrument easier to play. The thinner sound chamber also gives the instrument a quicker, more projective tone than one with a fuller, half-round profile. The tone of this instrument is very full and powerful with a sustained ring.
Basic Lute Features:
- 13 rib Cherry back
- Cherry neck and head
- Choice of pegs
- Cherry fingerboard
- Rosewood fingerboard binding, with points
- Rosewood end button
- Rosewood cap on cherry bridge
- Bone nut
- Nylon and carbon strings with wound basses
- "A" quality Engelmann spruce front
- "A"pattern rose
This lute model is available as:
- Six course lute
Seven course lute,(as the original)
Eight course lute
Basic Model lute specifications:
- 59cm string length
- Overall length - 28"
- Body width - 17 1/4"
- Body Width - 12"
- Body depth - 5 1/2"
- String spacing between courses at bridge, (8 course), 10.1mm
- Spacing between strings in course at bridge, (8 course), 4.9mm
- String spacing between courses at nut, (8 course), 5.7mm
- Spacing between strings in course at nut, (8 course), 3.1