The 59 cm Venere Model Lute
This instrument is modeled on an instrument made by Venere in 1596 in Bolonga, Italy now in the Vienia museum, number C64. The original instrument has a string length of 64cm. I have scaled the design down to 59cm for this reconstruction to make it more adaptable to modern playing techniques and pitch.
The adjusted body outline has been compared to another Venere lute in the Bolonga collection that has a string length of 58cm to insure a consistent instrument style.
The bowl is made up of thirteen ribs and has a flattened profile. That is, it is wider than it is deep. This shallow profile brings the plane of the strings closer to the body, making the instrument easier to play. The thinner sound chamber also gives the instrument a quicker, more projective tone than one with a fuller, half-round profile. The tone of this instrument is very full and powerful with a sustained ring.
Basic model features:
- Back: Eleven figured ribs
- Neck: Cherry wood
- Head: Cherry wood
- Choice of ebony, rosewood or boxwood pegs
- Front: "AA" Engelmann spruce
- Rose: Pattern "A"
- Fingerboard: Cherry with rosewood edges and points
- Nut: Bone
- End Button: to match pegs
- Strings: Nylon and fluorocarbon with wound nylon basses
This lute model is available as:
- Six course lute
Seven course lute,(as the original)
Eight course lute
Basic Model lute specifications:
- 59cm string length
- Overall length - 28"
- Body width - 17 1/4"
- Body Width - 12"
- Body depth - 5 1/2"
- String spacing between courses at bridge, (8 course), 10.1mm
- Spacing between strings in course at bridge, (8 course), 4.9mm
- String spacing between courses at nut, (8 course), 5.7mm
- Spacing between strings in course at nut, (8 course), 3.1
Optional features include:
- Pearwood back
- Figured maple back
- Bird's eye maple back
- Yew heartwood back
Decorative spacers in rib joints:
Western red cedar
Figured sitka spruce
Italian Alpine spruce
Figured Italian Alpine spruce
- Ebony binding
- Ebony binding with ebony heart
- Ebony binding with mother-of-pearl heart
- Boxwood binding with boxwood heart
- Ebony fingerboard with ebony points
- Ebony neck veneer
- Ebony/holly striped neck veneer
- Mechanical PegHed pegs
- Gut string set
- A choice of nine different rose designs
- Form fitting, custom made Kingham case
Instrument package includes:
- One-year membership in the Lute Society of America
- One-year warranty